Thursday, March 3, 2011

Scent and (non)sensibility

Perfumes are undoubtedly an integral aspect of our daily wardrobes. In addition to looking presentable, one strives not to be regarded as a stinky sock. Perfumes came into being originally as a substitute for baths- which at one point were a terrible hassle (no hot gushing showers immersing you in their play as soon as you step into your bathroom). Now that perfumes are not only used to mask body odour, we can be more picky. 

And picky I am, choosing the subtlest of the subtle, the mildest, the most beautiful scents with a hint of summer and prepare myself for a short whirlwind romance with the fragrance. Bright Crystal however had other plans. 

Bought in the summer of 2009 in a tiny 50 ml bottle, it was supposed to last for half a year and then duly replaced. It was sprinkled in generous amounts on a daily basis transforming sleepy mornings into a never-ending charade of sunshine. I enjoyed it immensely for the first 6 months, but "after a while you learn, even sunshine burns." I waited eagerly for the sweet liquid to sink down, but was dumbfounded to see that there was hardly a change in quantity since its first day out of the box. I decided to continue using it for a few more days, but the days turned into months, months turned into years. 

Spring 2011: 2/3rds of the gurgling liquid crystal remains intact. Maybe it's just an illusion? Maybe Versace created a bottomless bottle? Or maybe once I spray the perfume in the air, the tiny particles fall back into the container, thus preserving itself. The possibilities are infinite.

I believe that one day when the human race is extinct, Bright Crystal will rise to power blinding all the species left with its bright crystalline powers, and forcing submission. And you my dear readers (if you exist at all even now) will not be there to witness this apocalypse. 

5 comments:

  1. Your Bright Crystal will tremble before the might of my 212 Carolina Herrera cologne.

    I know what you mean about never-ending bottles. I’ve been getting at least two colognes per year for my birthday (and usually more over the course of the year as well). I have a drawer full of them that I doubt I will be able to empty out before the sun turns into a little black lump of coal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice..you are getting better.. :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiv- I am not talking about the inability to use up excess cologne, but of immortality :P


    Karan- That is lovely to hear. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. You ARE getting better with each post,Nav luv.

    And Chanel fragrances (plus,Blvgari Black) is as fragrantly immortal as you can get :P

    ReplyDelete